UTK SPS RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES AND RESOURCES DATABASE
WARNING MOST OF THE LINKS ON THIS LIST ARE MODERATELY TO EXTREMELY OUTDATED PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH THIS W.I.P. PAGE
As an organization that deeply values the pursuit of knowledge, we encourage our members to undertake in REUs, internships, and other research projects that can aid in a successful undergraduate career. We have collected information from our members on their past research projects, and have compiled a list of resources for fellow physics students searching for research opportunities. The links below should offer information on current projects, as well as applications.
- US Department of Energy and the National Institute for Nuclear Physics - Italy Summer Exchange Program
- Deadline: April
- Type: Physics (Experimental, Theoretical)
- UTK Department of Physics and Astronomy Summer Fellowship
- Deadline: March
- Physics (Theoretical, Experimental), Stellar Astrophysics
- Higher Education Research Experiences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (HERE at ORNL)
- Deadline: February
- Type: Varying
- Both Summer And Semester Appointments
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI)
- Type: Varying
- Both Summer and Semester Appointments
- Various DOE National Laboratory Locations
- Los Alamos National Lab Computational Physics Summer Workshop
- Deadline: Late January
- Type: Computational Physics
- DAAD RISE - German Summer Exchange Program
- Deadline: Mid December
- Type: Physics (Theoretical, Experimental), Astronomy (Observational, Computational)
- University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP)
- Deadline: Early February
- Type: Physics, Astronomy
- SPS National Internships
- Deadline: January
- Various internships in science research, education and policy with various organizations in the Washington, DC area.
- Pathways To Science
- External Database
- NSF Database
- NSF Database, allows searching by subject area
On Campus Resources
The university has numerous resources for getting involved in, funding, and promoting undergraduate research both on and off campus.
- Office of Undergraduate Research
- The Office of Undergraduate Research has many wonderful resources including travel grants for students presenting research at conferences, funding for research with a faculty mentor during the academic year, summer research funds, and more!
- Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships
- The Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships is your first stop for many nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships such as the Goldwater and Fulbright. They are willing to work with students to make their applications for these programs (and others) as competitive as possible.
- Chancellor's Honors Program
- Members of the Chancellor's Honors Program have access to numerous resources to help fund their research opportunities. These include the CHP Research Grant, Ready For The World Grant, and the Summer Enrichment Grant.
- Undergraduate Research Students' Association (URSA)
- The Undergraduate Research Students' Association is an undergraduate research community committed to expanding access to undergraduate research at UTK.
On Campus Research Presentation Opportunities
A crucial component of doing research is presenting that research. The university has several opportunities each year to present research that you have conducted. These opportunities are good exposures to the type of presentations you will be doing as a professional researcher.
- URSA Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Held every April, the URSA Sympoisum is a conference in which undergraduates give oral presentations about their research. The atmosphere is more relaxed than at a professional conference, making this the ideal introduction to research presentation.
- Call for abstracts will likely be early in the spring semester.
- Exhibition of Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement (EURēCA)
- EURēCA is a poster presentation exhibition hosted by the Office of Undergraduate Research every spring. Your presentation is judged and includes the possibility of cash prizes.
- Women in Stem Research Symposium
- This research symposium is open to undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty form UT, ORNL, and local industries help every year in the spring. It includes both oral and poster presentations.
- Summer Research Scholars' Group Poster Session
- If you are conducting summer research on campus, you may register with the office of undergraduate research as a research scholar, allowing you to particpate in a poster session at the end of July.
- Tennessee Experiential Learning Symposium
- TELS is a conference held at one of the universities in Tennessee in October.
In addition to those above, SPS regularly addends professional conferences away from the university. These conferences are a great opportunity to get exposure to cutting edge research and learn what types of research are being done.